Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Going 'round with Roundabouts

Well, after reading the commotion over the proposed roundabout for the Murdock/Jackson Street intersection, I decided to do some research myself. I have not been a big supporter for these designs. I don't like negotiating them and would have thought that the accidents would increase if they are built.

My goal was to prove it. However, when I went to Google and typed in the search, the first article that came up did the opposite. It actually convinced me that this type of intersection SHOULD be done if logistically and financially possible. It seems that they will improve traffic flow and prevent some types of accidents. Sure, there will be the occasional "fender bender" but high speed running the red light will not happen anymore. The accidents that happen at roundabouts rarely have injuries and almost never have serious injuries.

I would like to suggest that everyone read up on these intersections. Perhaps you can start in the same place that I did. Take a look at what Kansas State University reports. One example included Madison.

Is it the answer for us in Oshkosh? Tell us what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing that comes to mind about the roundabout intersections is a scene from European Vacation with the Griswalds hopelessly stuckk in one as they keep passing Big Ben. Funny in a movie but not so funny in real life. I would like to see more research and documentation regarding safety and traffic flow before I would be willing to embrace them.

Anonymous said...

Oshkosh already has it's first Round About...It's called River Mill.

Check it out! Drive 'round the round about.

Soon they will also have brand new concrete sidewalks.

Anonymous said...

Anon #1, if you had ever been to England, you would know that what happens in the movies doesn't always happen in real life. (Actually, you don't have to go to England to know that.) I was there recently, and the hundreds of roundabouts we encountered seemed to work just fine.