Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Election Day Predictions

I don't know what today will bring but here are my thoughts on how the races will shape up.

Mayor-
I think that this race is too close to call. Two years ago, this race came down to the final ward and had Frank edge Paul out at the end. I think that this year will be much of the same only with Paul victorious.

Council-
Palmeri, King, and Cummings. Unfortunately, there are three candidates outside the incumbents that share too many views and will likely split the vote. I personally would like to see any 3 of Palmeri, O'Day, Hinz or Poeschl. I was surprised that Jess King did not do more to get re-elected. She didn't spend any money and outside of the forums, she did not seem to campaign at all. Perhaps she isn't as serious as before now that the State seat is out of the picture.

OASD BOE-
Traska, Schneider, and Monte. There is a little bias here but my guess is realistic based on the referendum questions and voters paying ANY attention to the positions of the candidates. The referendum will go down in flames and the conservatives will win this ticket.

Referendum-
Question 1- Yes=30% No=70%
Question 2- Yes=48% No=52%
Question 3- Yes=48% No=52%

I am being conservative with the estimate on question 1. I think that the vote may even be more lopsided than that but 70/30 is a realistic number so I will go with it.

County Exec-
Mark Harris will win this one handily. I don't think Schroeder has done enough to unseat Mark despite his efforts to remind us about the sales tax.

Agree or disagree, that is my take on what will happen today. If you would like to put in your comments, feel free. I will try and keep up with the moderation but my days are very busy and it can be difficult to check.

Thanks to all for reading. Have a wonderful day and above all... GET OUT AND VOTE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps there are more important things going on with Ms. King than you realize. Can you ever say anything without a flare (or is it "flame" ;)) of nastiness or is that just synonymous with being a Monte?

Kent Monte said...

It wasn't meant to be nasty. I was simply making a comparison and speculating based on the fact that she spent more than $7000 the first time and nothing the second. Isn't it safe to assume that the initial outlay of cash would be for an alternate reason? (like the Senate seat).

If she indeed does have a lot going on in her personal life, I would think that is a good reason for a scaled back campaign.

Anonymous said...

Tuesday, April 7th was not a good day for liberals.

Anonymous said...

10:57. Specifically, it was not a good day for liberals RUNNING for office on April 7th. But, it was a GREAT day for the citizens of Oshkosh!